Sabah Filmmaking Course
From Story to Screen
Making a short documentary or narrative film
08-15 September 2019
4 teams of participants from Malaysia
working with international and regional instructors
making either a 10-minute documentary OR a 10-minute narrative film
Participants apply individually to be in either a documentary or narrative team.
- Documentary teams will have 4 members.
Each team member will take a role: Director, DP, Sound or Editing
- Narrative teams will have 5 members.
They will take the following roles: Director/Scriptwriter, Production Manager, Assistant Director/Continuity, Camera Assistant, DP or Editor
Eligibility – who can enter
- Malaysians over 18 years of age and excited about working in filmmaking
- Already have experience in: directing, cinematography, editing, production design, sound or producing for at least two short films
- Can communicate in English (the official language of the Festival)
- Fill in the Sabah Filmmaking Course registration form – including the links to two of your YouTube uploads
- Attach a 1-minute video introducing yourself
Applications close on 31 July 2019
Pre-Production Phase & Production Week Programme:
|July & August||PRE-PRODUCTION||Documentary – in teams, with Coordinator and mentors – start shooting|
|8-15 Sept||PRODUCTION WEEK IN KK|
Registration – Documentary and Narrative teams
Production Workshops: Producing a Short Film
Production Workshops continue
Narrative teams are given film prompts
|All day||Shooting / Editing|
Editing – Final Cut screening on Sat, 14 September
Premiere Screening at Awards Night on Sun, 15 September, 7.00pm
Note: Every team needs to have at least one mentor with them when they are shooting and editing.
- Directing & Scriptwriting
- Technical – cinematography, lighting, sound
- Team members from outside KK will be provided with airfares and accommodation (where required).
- Participants will be provided with an allowance during the Course.
- Each team will be provided with a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for shooting during the Course.
- Teams who are shooting a narrative are responsible for finding their own actors.
- Documentary teams will be allocated an allowance of RM500 each to cover shooting costs between September 8-15, including protagonists’ or actors’ fees.
- Narrative teams will be allocated an allowance of RM1000 each to cover shooting costs between September 8-15, including protagonists’ or actors’ fees. This is refundable on production of receipts.
- All films must be shot at specified locations within the city of KK.
- The Instructors’ Awards will be made to participants who are selected by the instructors as being the most valuable members of their team, the ones who show leadership qualities and have budding potential.
- The short films made during the Sabah Filmmaking Course are the property of the KKIFF. Teams may ask permission from the KKIFF for screenings and submissions to film festivals.