Sabah Film Academy
POSTPONED TO 2021
From Story to Screen
Making a short documentary or narrative film
06-13 September 2020
4 teams of participants from Malaysia
working with international and regional instructors
making either a 10-minute documentary OR a 10-minute narrative film
Participants apply individually to be in either a documentary or narrative team.
- Documentary teams will have 4 members.
Each team member will take a role: Director, DP, Sound or Editing
- Narrative teams will have 5 members.
They will take the following roles: Director, Production Manager, Assistant Director/Continuity, Camera Assistant, DP or Editor
Eligibility – who can enter
- Malaysians over 18 years of age and excited about working in filmmaking
- Already have experience in: directing, cinematography, editing, production design, sound or producing for at least two short films
- Can communicate in English (the official language of the Festival)
- Fill in the Sabah Film Academy registration form – including the links to two of your YouTube uploads
- If you are applying for Documentary, include a story for a 10-minute documentary that can be shot in and around KK
Applications close on 31 July 2020
Pre-Production Phase & Production Week Programme:
|July & August||PRE-PRODUCTION||Documentary – in teams, with mentors – start shooting
Narrative – use prompts to start creating a story
|6-13 Sept||PRODUCTION WEEK IN KK|
Registration – Documentary and Narrative teams
Production Workshops: Producing a Short Film
|2.00-5.00||Production Workshops continue|
|All day||Shooting / Editing|
Editing – Final Cut screening on Sat, 12 September
Premiere Screening at Awards Night on Sun, 13 September, 7.00pm
Note: Every team needs to have at least one mentor with them when they are shooting and editing.
- Directing & Scriptwriting
- Technical – cinematography, lighting, sound
- Team members from outside KK will be provided with airfares and accommodation (where required).
- Participants will be provided with an allowance during the Workshops.
- Each team will be provided with a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for shooting during the Workshops.
- Teams who are shooting a narrative are responsible for finding their own actors.
- Documentary teams will be allocated an allowance of RM500 each to cover shooting costs between September 6-13, including protagonists’ or actors’ fees.
- Narrative teams will be allocated an allowance of RM1000 each to cover shooting costs between September 6-13, including protagonists’ or actors’ fees. This is refundable on production of receipts.
- All films must be shot at specified locations within the city of KK. The KKIFF will not refund costs for travel outside of KK.
- The Mentors’ Awards will be made to participants who are selected by the mentors as being the most valuable members of their team, the ones who show leadership qualities and have budding potential.
- The short films made during the Sabah Film Academy are the property of the KKIFF. Teams may ask permission from the KKIFF for screenings and submissions to film festivals.