Announcing the CINEBALU selection for the KKIFF 2017
The KKIFF had a wonderful range of submissions to CINEBALU this year. From the 40+ entries, we selected 18 shorts and feature-length films from 9 different South-East Asian countries for our CINEBALU screenings.
- Redha/Beautiful Pain – Malaysia’s submission to the Oscars last year – about a family with an autistic child
- Shelter – a short short about the meaning of home
- Mencari Rahmat – the world premiere of this sophisticated black comedy
- My Life I Don’t Want – an animation based on the harsh realities of women’s lives
- Lovely Bones – physical disability doesn’t mean less life or less happiness
- Mudras Calling – finding your roots can lead to all sorts of discoveries
- I am Jupiter I am the Biggest Planet – even in quite a sordid situation, people can make a stand against oppression
- Digpa Ning Alti – it starts as an ordinary day and leads to an unexpected disaster
- Marangle (Farm) – he gives up everything to work overseas and comes back with what?
- Matangtubig (A Town in a Lake) – a murder mystery
- Ferris Wheel – gets inside the experience of a person crossing borders illegally for work
- The Silent Mob – people are used as political pawns, but they are still people
- Turn Left Turn Right – a quirky story told in an unusual way centred on a young Cambodian woman
- Arcadia Project – the stories of three immigrants to Germany from Spain, Kenya and Korea
- Sweet Bloom of Night Time Flowers – a ghost story with a twist
- Pleco Fish – What happened to this young woman? What will happen? It’s white on white but the emotions are not.
- Maluquun – focuses on the daily routine of four elderly Taiwanese and the ‘salt’ in their lives
- Arnie – about the hopes and dreams of Filipino migrant workers in Taiwan
Watch the KKIFF website and facebook pages for the full programme of movie screenings From 22-29 July at MBO Imago Mall